Picture this: you’re at a friend’s house and decide to have a smoke session. After having your fill, you head home, only to realize that the smell of marijuana is still lingering on your clothes. We’ve all been there. Fear not. We’ve rounded up some effective methods to remove marijuana odor from clothes.
This article will discuss why marijuana odor sticks to your clothes and explore various ways to remove it. We’ll also share some tips to help prevent marijuana odor from sticking to your clothes in the first place. So, whether you’re trying to avoid unpleasant conversations with your boss or just want to enjoy your marijuana without the lingering scent, read on for some helpful information.
Reasons Why Marijuana Odor Sticks to Your Clothes
Marijuana odor is notorious for sticking to clothes long after consumption. There are several reasons why this happens:
Marijuana contains compounds called terpenes that give it its distinctive scent. Terpenes are made up of volatile organic compounds (VOCs), which are easily absorbed by the fabric and can quickly stick to clothing fibers.
When you smoke marijuana, the terpenes are released into the air as a vapor, and the clothing fibers can quickly absorb them. Terpenes have a very low molecular weight, allowing them to penetrate deeply into the fabric’s fibers and cling stubbornly to them for a long time. Over time, the terpenes can become more concentrated in the fibers of the clothing, making it more difficult for the odor to remove.
Smoke is also one of the reasons why marijuana scents stick to your clothes. Marijuana smoke particles can cling to clothing fibers, especially in confined spaces.
These smoke particles comprise tiny, sticky resin droplets and tar with strong adhesive qualities. When these droplets come into contact with clothing fibers, they stick to them and can be tough to remove. Smoke particles are often heavier than volatile terpenes. That’s why they can settle deep into the fibers of your clothing, compounding the stickiness of the marijuana odor.
Clothing provides a large surface area for the odor to cling to. This includes fabric pores and gaps between clothing fibers, which can hold the scent long after exposure.
Humidity can make the smell of marijuana even stronger and stickier. When clothes are exposed to humid air, it can make it more difficult for the odor to dissipate.
The quality of the cannabis can also affect how strong the odor sticks to clothing. High-quality cannabis tends to have a more intense aroma that can be harder to remove from fabric.
Ways to Remove Marijuana Odor From Clothes
If you are having trouble getting rid of that marijuana odor from your clothes, here are simple yet effective tricks that you can try on your own:
Air Out Your Clothes
Leave your clоthеs tо air out in аn oрen spаce, such as a balcony or оutside, tо eliminate thе odor. Yоu cаn аlso рlace thе clоthing near аn oрen window tо helр with thе аerаtion procеss.
Wash and Repeat
Machine wash your clothes and add a cup of white vinegar, baking soda, or lavender oil to break down the oils and particles trapped in the clothes’ fibers. Repeat the wash if the odor persists.
Use Baking Soda
When washing, you may use baking soda to eliminate the odor. Baking soda is a natural odor neutralizer with excellent cleaning properties. When added to the wash cycle, baking soda works by altering the water’s pH level, which helps break down and loosen any organic residue on your clothes that causes the unpleasant odor of lingering marijuana scent.
To do this, you will need to follow these steps:
- Begin by assessing the level of odor on your clothes to determine how much baking soda to use. Use a 1/2 cup of baking soda for heavily soiled or odoriferous garments. This amount can be adjusted based on your needs.
- Once you have determined the needed amount, mix the baking soda with your regular laundry detergent.
- Add your marijuana-scented clothing to the washing machine and start the cycle, choosing the highest temperature setting and the longest cycle time. The hot water can help break down and remove the odor-causing particles more effectively.
- When the rinse cycle begins, pause the machine, and allow the clothes to soak for at least 30 minutes. This lets the baking soda work on the odor better.
- Resume the cycle and let it complete.
Another natural cleaning agent that you can use to remove the marijuana scent from your clothes is vinegar. It works by breaking down and neutralizing the odor-causing molecules from the fabrics of your clothing. The acidic nature of vinegar helps cut through the resinous molecules and sticky terpenes trapped in the clothes fibers, thus neutralizing the odor.
To use vinegar to eliminate marijuana odor from clothes, follow these steps:
- Add a cup of white vinegar to the washing machine during the rinse cycle for a standard-size load.
- Let the washing machine complete its wash cycle.
- After washing, check if the odor is still present. If it is, repeat the process.
- Once the washing cycle is complete, dry the clothes in direct sunlight, or use a dryer machine.
Use Activated Carbon
Activated carbon, or activated charcoal, is an excellent natural option to help remove the marijuana odor from clothes. It is a highly porous material that works by adsorption or chemical bonding of pollutants, including the terpenes and other odor-causing particles that remain in the clothing fibers.
To use activated carbon to eliminate the marijuana odor from clothes, all you need to do is to follow these steps:
- Purchase activated carbon sachets or air-purifying bags designed for closets or drawers. You can also get loose activated carbon powder and make your sachet using a cloth or textile bag.
- Place the activated carbon sachets or bags inside the drawer or closet where the clothes are stored. You can place one sachet or bag per drawer and one for every five to ten pieces of clothing.
- Allow the clothes to remain in the area for 24 to 48hrs for the activated carbon to absorb the odor effectively.
- Once done, remove the sachets or bags from the drawer and dispose of them properly.
Use Hydrogen Peroxide
If you are too impatient, you may also use hydrogen peroxide for an immediate effect. It works by oxidizing and breaking down any organics, including odor-causing particles, which neutralizes the smell.
All you need to do is to follow these steps:
- Mix a solution of one part water and one part hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle.
- Spray the solution directly onto the fabric of your clothing exposed to marijuana smoke or odors.
- Allow the clothing to sit for 30 minutes, and then wash it as usual with laundry detergent in the washing machine. The hydrogen peroxide should be enough to neutralize the marijuana odor without additional special additives.
- Once done, hang your clothes in direct sunlight, or use a dryer machine on a low heat setting to dry them off completely before wearing them again.
Hang in Direct Sunlight
Hanging clothes in direct sunlight is a great way to help eliminate the marijuana odor from clothing. The sun’s UV rays and heat break down any organic molecules, such as the terpenes and other odor-causing particles that remain on the fabric.
To use this method to eliminate marijuana odor, follow these steps:
- Hang your clothing in an area with direct access to sunlight, such as outside on a clothesline or near a window inside.
- Allow your clothes to hang for several hours in the sun, depending on the cannabis smell present.
- Once done, turn your items inside out and hang them again for another few hours.
- Finally, take your items inside and launder them as normal with detergent in the washing machine before wearing them again.
Use a Deodorizer Spray
Apply an odor-neutralizing spray like Febreze or Ozium on your clothes to avoid the marijuana smell. These sprays can be bought from local stores or online.
Tips to Prevent Marijuana Odor Sticking on Your Clothes
Whether you’re trying to avoid an awkward conversation with your boss or simply don’t want your clothes to reek, you can take steps to prevent the odor from sticking around. Here are some tips to try:
Pick Indica Strains
If you’re using marijuana for its calming effects, opt for Indica strains instead of Sativa. Indicas typically have a more pungent scent, but the odor doesn’t linger as long as it does with Sativas. This is because the chemical compounds that create the distinctive aroma of cannabis, such as terpenes, are not as potent in Indica strains as in Sativa strains.
Use a Vape Pen
Vape pens are a discreet and efficient option for consuming marijuana. They produce less smoke and odor than traditional smoking methods, so your clothes won’t absorb as much of the scent.
Change Clothes Immediately
Changing into fresh clothes immediately after using marijuana can help prevent the odor from sticking to your clothing. The scent of smoke from marijuana and other substances can be absorbed into clothing quickly, especially if the fabric is porous. The longer the smoke lingers on your clothes, the harder it will be to remove the odor from the material.
Vacuum Your Car Regularly
If you smoke in your car, the odor can linger for days. To prevent this, vacuum your car regularly to remove any residual smoke and prevent it from embedding in the upholstery. Additionally, it is advisable to clean the car’s interior with a cleaning solution specially designed for vehicles, such as an automotive odor eliminator, for the best results.
Invest in Air Purifiers
Аir purifiеrs cаn hеlp remove thе odоr оf smoke frоm yоur hоme оr car. Тhey wоrk by filtering thе аir and rеmoving partiсles thаt сause thе scent tо lingеr.
Conclusion: Understand how to do it properly on your own!
Thе smеll оf marijuana cаn be challenging tо remove frоm clothing, but thеre are several methods you cаn try tо get rid оf thе odоr. Fоr bеginnеrs, it is imperative tо understаnd thе рossible reasons why marijuana smеlls and why it lingеrs on yоur clothеs оr fabriс. Gaining a deeрer understаnding оf thаt will better hеlp you find thе best solution tо immediately resolve this issuе.
Whethеr it is using thе right soaр оr mixturеs оf baking soda, vinеgar, оr sсented soaр when washing yоur clothеs оr сombining one оr mоre techniques frоm washing tо stоring yоur clothеs, thе tiрs abоve will hеlp you eliminate thе unwantеd smеll оf marijuana frоm yоur clothеs.
It is also impоrtant tо note thаt if some оf those techniques dоn’t wоrk fоr you, othеrs may dо. It may not be a hundred perсent guarantee as еach hаs different situations and cases. The key is to act quickly, take preventive measures, and use or combine various techniques to completely eliminate the issue of lingering marijuana odors on your clothes.
Disclaimer: This content is meant for educational purposes only. It has been compiled with research from external sources. it is not meant to substitute any medical or legal advice. Please see your local laws for the legality of cannabis use.