- 15th consecutive quarter of positive adjusted EBITDA
- Maintains leading market share position in adult-use cannabis in
Canadaand medical cannabis across Europe
- Net revenue of
$144.1 million, on a constant currency basis $157.6 million
- EPS of –
$0.11and adjusted EPS of – $0.06
- Strategy in place to build the world’s
leading and most diversified cannabis lifestyle consumer packaged goods company
- Completes acquisition of
Montauk Brewing Co., No. 1 craft beerin metro New York
LEAMINGTON, Ontario and NEW YORK, Jan. 9, 2023 – PRESS RELEASE – Tilray Brands Inc., a leading global cannabis-lifestyle and consumer packaged goods company, reported financial results for the second fiscal quarter ended Nov. 30, 2022. All financial information in this press release is reported in U.S. dollars, unless otherwise indicated.
- Strong financial position with $433.5 million in cash and marketable securities.
- Maintained No. 1 leadership position in Canada with 8.3% cannabis market share.
- Beverage-alcohol sales increased 56% to $21.4 million, over the prior year quarter, including revenue from acquisitions.
- Gross profit rose to $40.1 million, a 22% increase, year over year. Adjusted gross margin held at 29% compared to the year ago quarter.
- Cannabis gross profit increased 37% to $18.6 million from $13.5 million in the prior year quarter, while the gross margin percentage increased to 37% from 23%. This was driven by our success in implementing numerous cost-savings programs, offset in part by our allocated overhead from intentionally reducing production, coupled with the revenue realized from our strategic alliance with HEXO in the current year and in inventory provision in the prior year.
- Achieved $119.6 million in annualized cash cost-savings since the closing of the Tilray-Aphria transaction in May 2021, up from $108 million as of Aug. 31, 2022.
- Adjusted EBITDA of $11.7 million, marking the 15th consecutive quarter of positive adjusted EBITDA.
Irwin D. Simon, Tilray Brands’ chairman and CEO, said, “During the second quarter, Tilray Brands took decisive, effective actions to manage operating cash flow and focus the business on accretive acquisitions and a path to long term profitability. And we have certainly done so—even amid an evolving retail environment—by removing costs and driving efficiencies across the platform in supply chain, procurement, packaging and labor. We are close to achieving our increased annualized cost savings target of $130 million, consistent with our commitment to building a lean, efficient and dynamic business that will realize tangible and immediate benefits as the market improves.”
Simon added, “Tilray Brands’ repositioning as a global diversified portfolio of brands will drive our ability to seize top-line opportunities across geographies and business lines. In the U.S., this includes investing in, acquiring or building compelling and profitable lifestyle CPG brands across craft beverage-alcohol and wellness consumer products that are cannabis adjacent, resonate powerfully with consumers, and are strongly positioned in key markets. In Europe, we believe that we are extremely well-positioned overall in a cannabis market. And, in Canada, we will be patient and strategic in building our competitive positioning amid the price compression and difficult operating conditions that we expect will, inevitably, consolidate the oversupply of licensed producers. These efforts will be supported and enhanced by one of the strongest balance sheets in the industry with close to $433.5 million in cash and marketable securities on-hand.”
Maintained No. 1 market share leadership in Canada; positioned for long-term growth in the market – Against the backdrop of challenging cannabis market operating conditions, Tilray was able to maintain its top market share position due to the strength of its sought-after brands and products. This reflects the strength of the company’s product innovation, including with respect to both strains and potencies. Looking ahead, Tilray’s focus on using data and consumer insights coupled with ongoing budtender and consumer education is expected to enable the acceleration of both sales and market share growth.
Well-positioned to capitalize on growing acceptance and legalization of cannabis across Europe – Even as Europe contends with a difficult economic climate that has negatively impacted the cannabis industry, the positive trends toward greater acceptance of medical cannabis and legalization of adult use continue. We believe we are exceptionally well situated to benefit from the meaningful economic growth that will come to our industry as a result of these positive changes, given our ability to provide the most sought-after, consistent and sustainable cannabis products for the medical and adult-use markets. In Germany, we are in a win-win position regardless of whether in-country cultivation is exclusively permitted or whether imports are also allowed given our domestic footprint with our Aphria RX facility located in Germany along with our facility in Portugal. In addition to our supply-chain footprint, we are also uniquely positioned to take advantage of the insights and learnings we have developed through our participation in the Canadian adult-use market. This experience, paired with our competitively advantaged supply-chain footprint, gives us great confidence in our ability to lead the European medical market and German adult-use market in the future.
Continuing to expand U.S. CPG and craft-beverage portfolio, with accretive acquisition of Montauk Brewing Co. – In the U.S., Tilray’s businesses include SweetWater Brewing Co., the 10th largest craft brewer in the nation; Breckenridge Distillery; and Manitoba Harvest, a pioneer in hemp, CBD and wellness products; as well as Montauk Brewing Co., the fastest growing craft beer brand and No. 1 craft brewer in metro New York, which Tilray Brands acquired in the second quarter of fiscal 2023. The Montauk Brewing transaction was immediately accretive to EBITDA and the company expects it will deliver strong revenue and adjusted EBITDA on a go-forward basis. This will be accomplished as a result of Tilray’s ability to leverage SweetWater’s excess capacity as well as its nationwide infrastructure to significantly expand Montauk Brewing’s distribution network beyond its concentrated presence in the Northeast, making it a true national brand.
The company is focused on driving revenue gains across its diverse portfolio of businesses, which we believe will ultimately create a strong channel for additional revenue in adult-use cannabis, pending federal legalization.
Strategic Growth Actions
- September 2022 – Good Supply launches new high-potency product drop and unveils exclusive Orange Frost live resin
- September 2022 – Breckenridge Distillery announces nationwide alignment and renewed distribution agreement with Republic National Distributing Co.
- September 2022 – RIFF Cannabis Brand launches new ‘Drumsticks’ product
- September 2022 – Tilray Medical receives approval to extend market authorization in Italy
- September 2022 – SweetWater Brewing Co. unveils new fall craft-beer releases
- October 2022 – Tilray Medical relaunches cannabis oral solution across Ireland
- October 2022 – Broken Coast ranks No. 1 at the Budtender’s Association Collector’s Cup
- October 2022 – Green Flash launches new beers across the U.S. and unveils refreshed branding
- October 2022 – Breckenridge Distillery announces ultimate whiskey and beer collaboration with Breckenridge Brewery
- October 2022 – Good Supply Cannabis Brand reveals new fall flower launches and expands distribution of bestselling high-potency products
- November 2022 – Tilray Brands and Charlotte’s Web announce strategic alliance in Canada
- November 2022 – Leading independent proxy advisory firms ISS and Glass Lewis recommend Tilray stockholders vote “FOR” Tilray’s proposal to protect stockholders and promote accountability
- November 2022 – Tilray Brands acquires Montauk Brewing Co.
- November 2022 – ‘Potently Canadian’ cannabis brand, CANACA, launches new products and #FeelTheBoost campaign
- November 2022 – Tilray launches ‘Take Back Control’ platform to provide women with free medical cannabis resources
- December 2022 – Good Supply Cannabis Brand launches ‘Peppermint Phatty’
- December 2022 – RIFF Cannabis Brand launches new series of limited-edition strains in ‘Joint Effort’ with craft growers